The steps below will allow you to add a printer on a Solaris 7 system running the Common Desktop Environment (CDE).
- Right-click on the desktop.
- Select "Tools".
- Select "Admintool".
- Click on "Browse".
- Select "Printers".
- Click on "Edit".
- Select "Add".
- Select "Access to Printer".
- In the "Admintool: Add Access to Printer" window fill in the fields. For "Printer Name" type some name by which you wish to designate the printer. For "Print Server" you can enter the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the printer, e.g. hp-printer.mycompany.com. For description, you can put in whatever descriptive information you wish for the printer, e.g. "HP LaserJet 5". If you wish the printer to be your default printer, check the "Default Printer" checkbox.
- Click on "OK"
- Click on "File" then "Exit" to exit from the Admintool.
If you don't make the printer the default printer, i.e. the one Solaris will use by default when you select "File" and "Print" in an application, but later wish to make it the default printer, you can do so by the following steps:
- Open the Admintool as above.
- Click on "browse" and select "printers"
- Select the printer.
- Click on "Edit" and select "Modify".
- Check the default printer checkbox and click on "OK.
- Click on "File" then "Exit" to exit from the Admintool