To enable an FTP server on a Mac OS X system, take the following steps:
- Click on the Apple menu in the upper left-hand corner of the menu bar.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click on File Sharing in the services list at the left side of the window. If it is grayed out, click on the lock icon at the bottom of the window to unlock the settings, so that you can make changes. The File Sharing status indicator will go from "Off" to "On".
- Click on the Options button.
- Choose the "Share files and folders using FTP" option.
- Choose the account or accounts for which you wish to allow FTP access.
- Click on Done.