Book Collector database disappeared
I use the Collectorz.com book
database software to manage my book collection. I hadn't updated the
database for several months, but I had purchased some books recently and
wanted to add those books to the database. When I opened the Book Collector
program (version 16.4.3), it automatically opened the last book database I had
open, which was one that I use to track books my wife and I have purchased as
gifts for a friend who also enjoys reading, so I don't buy the same ones again
in the future. But when I tried to find the database in which I store
information for my own books, I couldn't find it. When I clicked on File
and selected Open Database in the program and navigated to a folder where
I thought that database was stored, the program didn't show the database
at that location. When I navigated to that directory with the
File Explorer, I didn't see any files with a .bkc extension, which is the
extension used by the Book Collector database program. Collectorz.com
also provides comic, game, movie, and music database programs.
Book Collector Missing Images
After upgrading Book Collector
9.0.6, I found that images on detail pages for some templates were missing
when I used an existing book database on a shared network drive..
E.g., images for "hardback", "paperback", and "English".
Inside Book Collector, I clicked on Tools, Maintenance,
Update File Links, which showed me that the program was expecting
to find missing files in the
There was no
Listitemimages directory beneath the
Book Collector\Images directory on the network shared folder where
I had the book database, so I copied the
from the user folder, i.e., the
Coletor\Images\Listitemimages\ folder underneath that location.
I had already updated the location for image and template files by selecting
Tools, Optins, and changing the location for
User Templates Folder and then clicking on the Images
tab and modifying the values for Default Folder for Image Files and
Default Folder for Thumbnail Files to point to the
Templates and Images subdirectories on the shared network
location, so I closed Book Collector and reoopened it to see if that
would cause the missing images to now appear. They didn't, so I clicked
on Tools, Maintenance, and Update File Links
again. When the Update File Links window opened, I clicked on
the Update button. I saw a window stating "This will update 76 file
paths. Are you sure?" I clicked on Yes, but 0 files were updated,
so I highlighted all of the misssing files in the Update File Links
window by clicking on the top one, then scrolling to the bottom and clicking
on the bottom file while holding down the shift key. Then with all of the
files highlighted, I clicked on the Automatic button. A window opened
allowing me to browse to the
I created at the shared network folder location. I then clicked on
OK. I then saw the new location appear in the New Folder
column in the Update File Links window for most, but not all of
the files. E.g., there was nothing listed in the New Folder column
for files associated with languages. I then clicked on
the Update button. I was notified that "42 of the 76 files have
been updated." I clicked on OK then Close.
After closing and reopening Book Collector 9.0.6, I saw there was
now a small image representing "hardback" and "paperback", depending
on the book, but there was still a missing image for "English".
So I went through the same process as before for updating the file links.
Again, I browsed to the
Listitemimages directory. This time
Book Collector showed an entry under New Folder for most, but not all,
of the remaining missing files when I selected all of the files, browsed to
Listitemimages subdirectory and clicked on Automatic.
I clicked on Update and saw "This will update 34 file paths. Are
you sure?" I clicked on Yes and saw "26 files have been updated."
I clicked on OK and then Close. The image for English
I then went through the same Update File Links process as before.
This time all but 2 of the missing files were found, though I was browsing
to the exact location as before when Book Collector had not found them. When
I clicked on Update this time, I was informed that 6 of the 8 missing
files had been updated.
I then repeated the Update File Links process once more. This
time the remaining two missing files were found. It's weird how Book Collector
couldn't find them all in one pass, but required me to repeat the process
multiple times, though each time I was browsing to the same location.
Collectorz Movie Database Locked
I installed the 9.0.6 version of
. When I attempted to open an existing movie database with it,
I saw the following message:
|Collectorz.com Movie Collector 9.0|
|Opening the database in Read-Only mode, because another user (Jane) on
computer "Tarzan" is currently using this database in Writable mode.
[ OK ]
Because Movie Collector thought the database was already in use it opened
it in read-only mode.
The database was located on a shared network drive, but when I checked
the mentioned computer and all other computers on the
LAN, I did not find any running
Movie Collector. I found a
jane_movies.mvclck database file in the
same directory as the database
jane_movies. I opened that file
with Notepad and saw the following:
<lockinfo><writable><client pcname="TARZAN" name="Jane Doe" key="196876543211" username="Jane"/></writable><readonly/></lockinfo>
I closed Movie Collector and deleted the .mvclck file. I was then able
to open the database with Movie Collector in write mode.
Movie Collector 6.4.1 Customization
I installed Movie Collector™
on my wife's new laptop today. Since we want all systems in the
household to use a common movie database, I configured it to use a database
stored on a shared network folder.
[ More Info ]