Viewing Exchange Logs in Excel
It is possible to view details of the Microsoft Exchange server email logs
in Microsoft Excel using the steps below (these were tested with Exchange 6.5
and Excel 2003).
Make a copy of the Exchange email log you wish to view. I
have an Exchange 6.5 server running on a Windows Small Business Server (SBS)
2003 system. The server is named "S" and its email logs are in
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\S.log. New logs are created each day
with the date used as the name of the file for that day, e.g.
20080212.log for the log file for February 12, 2008. To view
that day's log entries in Excel, I copy that file. It is a text file that
can be edited with Notepad or any text editor. I can then take the following
- Open the copy of the log file
- You will see something like the following at the start of the log file
(it will all be on one line):
Delete everything up to "Date" in the log file.
# Message Tracking Log File
# Exchange System Attendant Version 6.5.7638.1
- Open Excel and create a new workbook.
- In Excel, click on Data.
- Select Import External Data.
- Select Import Data.
- For Files of type, select All files.
- Navigate to the location of the log file and select it.
- Leave Delimited selected as the file type and click on
- Leave Tab selected as the delimiter and click on
- At the data format window, which is "step 3 of 3", for the first column
select Date as the column data format and select
YMD, which stands for "Year Month Day", presuming that
is the date format used in your log files.
- Click on Finish.
- When asked where you want to put the data, you can keep the
Existing worksheet selected and click on OK
With the Exchange System Manager Message Tracking Center, I can search for
all email addressed to someone, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, but it won't
let me search for all hotmail.com addresses. Once I have the data in Excel,
I can search for all such addresses or perform other data searches I can't
perform in the Message Tracking Center.
How to analyze Exchange Server SMTP log files in Microsoft Excel
By Brian M. Posey, MCSE
February 14, 2007