To add access to a printer over the network using the Line Printer Daemon (LPD) protocol, take the following steps:
- Cllick on the Apple icon at the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Print & Fax.
- Click on the "+" underneath the list of printers to add a new printer.
- Click on the IP icon in the toolbar at the top of the Add Printer window.
Leave the Protocol value set to
Line Printer Daemon - LPDand put the IP address of the printer in the Address field, e.g.
192.168.0.100. You can leave the Queue value blank to use the default printer queue. The Name field will be given the IP address by default. You can change it to something else, if you like, to make it more recognizable to you. You can also identify the location, if you like, e.g. "Xerox area". You can specify the print driver to use, if you wish or use a generic print driver. E.g., if the printer supports postscript printing, you could opt for
Generic PostScript Printerin the Print Using field. Or you could choose the Select Printer Software option for Print Using and then pick the appropriate printer from the list presented, e.g. "Xerox 700 Digital Color Press, 2.35.0".
- Click on the Add button. If you are presented with an Installable Options window, choose any options you know are installed then click on Continue when finished.