I needed to set up a Dell Precision 380 for Wake on LAN (WOL) support. To check the network adapter's support for the feature within Windows, you can take the following steps.
- Click on Start.
- Click on Settings (This step doesn't apply under Windows Vista).
- Select Control Panel.
- Double-click on System.
- Click on the Hardware tab (This step doesn't apply under Windows Vista).
- Click on Device Manager.
- Click on the "+" to the left of Network Adapters
- Select the relevant network adapter by right-clicking on it and choosing Properties.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
You also need to set the system's BIOS to support WOL. To do so, take the following steps, which are specific to the Dell Precision 380's BIOS.
- Reboot the system and, as soon as the system begings to reboot, hit the F2 key to go into the BIOS Setup.
- Use the cursor key to go down to Power Management and hit the Enter key to view the options within it.
- Go down to "Remote Wake Up" and hit the Enter key.
- Use the right cursor key to move to the On button, which should turn green. The factory default setting is Off.
- Hit the Enter key.
- Hit the Esc key to exit Setup.
- Use the tab or right cursor key to choose Save/Exit and hit the Enter key to reboot.