Eudora Owner.Lok Remains After Eudora Crash
When I started Eudora 4.2 on Pamela's system, I saw the following:
An instance of Eudora may be running on a remote computer. Accessing a
mailbox from two instances of Eudora may lead to data corruption. Please
indicate how you wish to proceed.
[ Exit this instance ]
[ Terminate remote instance ]
[ Continue (I'll accept the consequences) ]
I chose "terminate remote instance". But that just led to Eudora
closing. So I looked in the directory where Eudora stores the user's email
and found an OWNER.LOK file. Eudora creates the file when it starts to
keep two instances of Eudora from modifying the same mail files. But, if
Eudora crashes, the file may remain and you may need to manually delete
it. I deleted the file.
Intel Pro/100 VE Adapter Lost Settings
Pamela reported that her system no longer had network access. When I
checked the IP configuration by issuing "ipconfig/all" at a command
prompt, nothing was displayed.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
I checked the network card's status under the device manager ("Start", "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager" from the Windows XP "classic" control panel view). It showed the following for the network interface card:
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Provider: Intel Corporation
File version: 220.127.116.11 built by: WinDDK
Copyright: 1995-2004, Intel Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility
Device Instance Id
This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.
I rebooted the system. But the problem remained the same after rebooting.
The "Intel(R) PROSet II" troubleshooting aid was present under "Start", "All
Programs", "Intel". It listed the following under "Troubleshooting":
The system has not enabled IO address mapping for the device you have
installed. The device driver will not work correctly on this adapter.
PC BIOS is set to Plug and Play.
Try turning off Plug and Play in the PC BIOS. See your PC manual for
instructions on changing your BIOS settings.
When I clicked on the "Next" button, I saw the following:
Unable to locate the drivers for this adapter.
The drivers for this adapter were not installed, or are not installed properly.
Use the "Add/Remove Hardware" wizard in the Control Panel to install the
drivers for this adapter.
I went into the "Device Manager" under the "Control Panel" again and right
clicked on "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection", which was under
"Network Adapters". I chose "uninstall". I received the message "Failed to
uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."
I tried disabling the device prior to uninstalling it, but that yielded
the same results on the uninstall step. So I re-enabled the adapter and
tried "update driver" instead of "disable" or "uninstall". When I took
that step, I no longer saw a yellow exclamation mark next to the "Intel(R)
PRO/100 VE Network Connection". And when I went to a command prompt and
issued an "ipconfig/all" command, I saw the expected results, i.e. I saw
the expected IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server addresses.
I checked the "automatic updates" setting on the system and found it set
for "automatically download recommended updates for my computer and
install them". I changed it to "download updates for me, but let me choose
when to install them." This problem was reported to me on Monday,
November 14. I did see that updates had been automatically downloaded and
installed for the system early in the morning on Friday, November 11.
The updates that were installed Friday were "Security Update for
Windows XP (KB896424)" and "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -
November 2005 (KB890830)". Those updates led to a system reboot, since I
saw the entry below listed afterwards:
Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the
computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - November 2005 (KB890830)
I don't believe either of those updates are the likely cause of the
problem, however. When I checked the timestamps on files updated by the
user's email client, Eudora, I saw they had been updated much later during
the day on Friday.
I also noticed the following error in the system event log for November 14:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 256
Time: 7:54:05 AM
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "MyTest"
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
When I clicked on the link in the event entry, I saw the following:
||Windows Operating System
||Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "%1"
A window was registered for Plug and Play device event notification, but it
did not respond to the notification within 30 seconds. While Windows was
waiting for the device to respond, Plug and Play stopped responding, which
caused performance problems.
If performance problems are associated with this event, close any programs that are running at the same time.
Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this
specific error or event message. For information about other support options
you can use to find answers online, see
I don't know of any hardware change that might have been made on the system. I
noticed the user's iPod was unplugged. I think it was plugged in previously,
but I don't know if that had any bearing on the problem.